Lady Peckett’s Yard

Originally a medieval alley (called Bacusgail/then Bakehouse Lane), which passes down the side of the original Rowntree grocery business on Pavement. The alley has had its present name since the 18th century, when John Peckett was Lord Mayor and a house on the site was lived in by his widow.

At one time the Joseph Rowntree (Senior) owned a large number of properties and warehouses in this alley, and several of the early Adult (First Day) Schools were moved there in 1857 and held in these premises. According to an oral history of Hungate, a lion escaped from a circus in Parliament St and it was caught down this yard.

References

Van Wilson, Rich in all but Money: Life in Hungate 1900-1936.