Archives

Rowntree trusts

Joseph Stephenson Rowntree

Third son of Joseph Rowntree, known as ‘Stephen’. His working life was spent at the cocoa works, and his spare time was devoted to Quaker committees and local Liberal politics. On Stephen’s birth certificate his father declared himself as a ‘Cocoa Manufacturer’, whilst on those of his older brothers he still described himself more »< Read More...

Joseph Rowntree (1836-1925)

Grocer, cocoa and chocolate manufacturer, social reformer, and philanthropist. He was born at Pavement, in York 24 May 1836. He was the second of the three sons (there was one surviving daughter) of Joseph Rowntree and Sarah Stephenson.  He was educated at Bootham School, where he developed a love of natural history and more »< Read More...

Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust

When it was established in 1904 the JRCT was a family-based trust, the trustees being the founder and five relatives. Seebohm Rowntree continued as a trustee until his death in 1954 and the family connection was not broken until the retirement of Michael Rowntree in 1991. The JRCT also flourished within the wider more »< Read More...

Homestead, Residence, today main office of Joseph Rowntree Foundation

The house, an example of the Arts and Crafts style, was built for Seebohm Rowntree, his wife Lydia (Potter) and family. The architect was Fred Rowntree. A family home The 1911 census describes the house as having eighteen rooms and housing Seebohm, Lydia, Joseph (aged 12), Peter (aged 10), Mary (aged 7) and more »< Read More...

Haverford (later called Haverford Youth Hotel, now YHA York)

Built by William Catton, a woollen draper, whose family sold it to Henry Hillyard at the end of 19th century. In 1905, Seebohm Rowntree purchased about 3 acres of land behind Cliff Villa from Hillyard. The house Cliff Villa was renamed after Haverford College in Pennsylvania, in memory of John Wilhelm Rowntree who more »< Read More...

Garden House, The (Clifton)

Today the national headquarters of the Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust and the Joseph Rowntree Reform Trust, adjacent to The Homestead Park in Clifton. In 1992 the Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust and Joseph Rowntree Social Service Trust Ltd (now Joseph Rowntree Reform Trust) jointly purchased the 136 year lease on land from Joseph Rowntree more »< Read More...

Cober Hill, Scarborough

John Wilhelm Rowntree had the idea of developing a centre where people working in education, social service, and other voluntary and charitable activity could gather for residential courses and conferences. His cousin Arnold Rowntree brought that vision to fulfilment by the purchase in 1920 of a splendid Victorian mansion in Cloughton, Cober Hill, more »< Read More...

Clifton Lodge, Rawcliffe Holt

Joseph Rowntree’s last home, where he lived from 1905 until his death in 1925. The Regency-style house was built in 1852 for David Russell, a solicitor. Sir Reginald Parker purchased it 1884 and made alternations to the once symmetrical layout. Ethel, Lady Thomson, née Parker, recorded memories of her life at the house more »< Read More...

Brick Pond Nature Reserve, New Earswick

A number of interest groups have seen to the preservation of a wildlife corridor along the River Foss and Old Foss Beck. The protected habitats in these reserves provide safe breeding grounds for birds and other wildlife, and there are footpaths along the River Foss and Railway track. Access to the Brick Pond more »< Read More...

Beverley House, Shipton Road

Formerly the location of the Rowntree trusts. The 1911 census lists the twelve-roomed house as being occupied by Thomas Appleton,General Manager at the Cocoa Works, his wife Hannah, a cook and housemaid.  It was purchased because it adjoined the Homestead and Ouse Lea. After the war, it was divided into three flats, each with more »< Read More...