Beverley House, Shipton Road

Formerly the location of the Rowntree trusts. The 1911 census lists the twelve-roomed house as being occupied by Thomas Appleton,General Manager at the Cocoa Works, his wife Hannah, a cook and housemaid.  It was purchased because it adjoined the Homestead and Ouse Lea.

After the war, it was divided into three flats, each with its own separate entrance. Two additional wings were added to the building by the  architect, Richard Fraser, to provide office space for the three Joseph Rowntree Trusts in addition to a shared board room, library and office machine room. The building was leased to the Local Government Ombudsmen in 1990.